Outset Contemporary Art Fund is committed to leading the industry in minimising and actively reducing the environmental impact of its activities. We recognise that our operations have an impact on vital resources, infrastructure and energy, both locally and globally, and we are committed to reducing them wherever possible.
We commit to two objectives in our environmental policy:
1 – We will strive to minimise the carbon and environmental footprint in all of our direct operations
2 – We will invest in creating alternative, environmentally-friendly business models through our core activities that can positively influence the behaviour and environmental footprint of many others.
We will achieve objective 1 by:
- As far as is possible, purchasing products and services that do the least damage to the environment.
- Promoting environmental awareness among our employees and encourage them to work in an environmentally responsible manner.
- Minimising waste by evaluating operations and ensuring they are as efficient as possible.
- Promoting recycling both internally and amongst our customers and suppliers.
- Being part of a creative sector that actively seeks to be carbon neutral by 2030.
- Recognising the need to continuously improve environmental performance and policy.
We will achieve objective 2 by seeking to foster environmental sustainability within the cultural sector and wider society through specific projects or initiatives that we sponsor.
For example Outset’s commitment to sustainability is demonstrated in our latest digital initiative, theVOV. This pioneering virtual ecosystem harnesses new augmented, virtual, and mixed reality technologies to present artwork in a digital space, available worldwide. A driving force and key ambition of theVOV is to offer a technological solution that can drastically reduce the environmental impact of the culture sector. By accessing and exhibiting artwork digitally we will substantially reduce the travel needs of the individual users, and the shipping requirements of the institutions who use theVOV. Sustainability is a core ethos of theVOV, we believe that not only can we have a positive environmental impact, but can also communicate respect for our earth and how we look after it, through the power of art.
This policy is reviewed annually by the Directors and our Board of Trustees.