28 January 2021
PROJECTS SUPPORTED IN 2021
It is with great pleasure that we announce the projects chosen by the Board of Trustees in two ballots (anonymous + open) on Thursday 28 January 2021:
Aargauer Kunsthaus, Switzerland
Production support: Mai-Thu Perret – „ohne Titel“, 2021
2 March – 24 May 2021
Galerie für zeitgenössische Kunst, Leipzig
Exhibition support: Sung Tieu (title to be confirmed)
11 June – 3 October 2021*
Museum Folkwang, Essen
Exhibition support: Tobias Zielony – „The Fall“
25 June – 26 September 2021
Bonner Kunstverein, Bonn
Exhibition support: David Medalla – „Parables of Friendship”
28 August 2021 – 30 January 2022
Portikus Frankfurt, Frankfurt am Main
Exhibition support: William Pope.L
September – November 2021*
Kunsthaus Bregenz, Austria
Exhibition support: Otobong Nkanga
23 October 2021 – 9 January 2022
*Please note: Dates subject to change due to Covid-19
The selection reflects the widest possible range in terms of gender-specific, ethical and political relevance.
At the same time, it was important for the jurors to select young, and in some cases still undiscovered, positions and to include projects from the entire DACH region.
The result once again confirms the expertise of the members of our board of trustees, whom we would like to express our utmost thanks by name here:
- Daniel Baumann, Director, Kunsthalle Zürich
- Friederike von Brühl, OGS Honorary Patron, Berlin
- Giovanni Carmine, Direktor, Kunsthalle Sankt Gallen & Curator Art Basel Unlimited
- Jan Fischer, OGS Trustee + Patron, Munich
- Anna-Catharina Gebbers, Curator, Nationalgalerie im Hamburger Bahnhof, Berlin
- Marcela von Kayser, OGS Patron, Potsdam
- Mario von Kelterborn, OGS Patron, Frankfurt
- Samuel Leuenberger, Director, SALTS, Basel & Kurator, Art Basel Parcours
- Cynthia Phillips, OGS Patron, London
- Regine Thiess, OGS Patron, Munich
- Alice Trier, OGS Honorary Patron, Cologne, representing Cheyenne Westphal
- Moritz Wesseler, Director, Fridericianum, Kassel
Click here for a detailed list of the 2021 projects.
19 October 2020
OPEN CALL 2021
Outset Germany_Switzerland invites institutions to apply for project grants:
Application Deadline: 30 November 2020
Jury meeting: February 2021
Announcement: March 2021
Criteria or the submission of grant applications
- The applying institution must have the status of a non-profit organization
- The applicant must fully accept the requirements of the Outset Germany_Switzerland Donation Agreement
- The projects must be accessible to the public
- Based on our idea of sustainability, exhibition projects are supported exclusively in connection with a donation-in-kind
- The project cannot be self-sustaining or rather cannot be realized without external funding
- The project must be in the future
Application documents to be submitted (PDF with visualizations max. 5 MB)
- A Cover letter explaining why this project is relevant to the institution
- A detailed Project description with images
- Biographies of the artists and curators
- A detailed financing plan – with details of approved and applied for third-party funds as well as own contributions, only if relevant (travel expenses within the projects are not covered by Outset Germany_Switzerland)
- Documents can be submitted to Elena Schlöndorff (Director, Programme & Marketing) until 30 November 2020: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking forward to your projects!
31 January 2020
For the first time in 2020 an independent board of trustees determined the Outset Germany_Switzerland upcoming funding projects. We are delighted to have found a wonderful circle of jurors and say thank you to everyone involved for their time and brilliant minds.
In a successful meeting the jurors came to a decision for the following five projects, which will be supported in 2020:
1. Steffani Jemison + Justin Hicks, Mikrokosmos (One Giant Step in Dresden) and Mikrokosmos (One Giant Step in Marseille), Albertinum, Dresden
2. On the occasion of “Sculpture 21st”, Nevin Aladag, Lehmbruck Museum, Duisburg
3. Patricia L. Boyd, Kunstverein München
4. Dineo Seshee Bopape, Secession, Wien
5. Dora Budor, Kunsthaus Bregenz.
Click here for a detailed list of the 2020 projects.
15 January 2020
We are thrilled to announce the Outset Germany_Switzerland Benefit Auction: Club Dracula, St. Moritz, 23 January 2020 under the patronage of Rolf Sachs.
“Outset is a unique organization, which enables artists to fulfill their visions, which allows many works, installations or performances to be literally born, which might otherwise never have come to exist. Hence Outset is clearly enriching our cultural world! Outset is distinct with their discreet, professional, engaging approach, to an otherwise often overhyped world.
My encounter with Bettina Böhm was pure joy and one could immediately feel the soul, passion and dedication she brings to Outset Germany_Switzerland. It s a great joy to welcome Outset to the spirited vaults of the Dracula Club!”
Quote by Rolf Sachs
16 December 2019
For the first time in 2020, an independent board of trustees will determine the Outset Germany_Switzerland funding projects: International institutions were invited until 30 November 2019 to submit funding applications for collection purchases, production support or artist residency projects. In January 2020, the selection committee composed of curators and Outset Germany_Switzerland Patrons will meet and decide which projects Outset Germany_Switzerland 2020 will promote.
We are very glad that we were able to win the following members for the first board meeting of Outset Germany_Switzerland
Daniel Baumann, Director, Kunsthalle Zürich
Giovanni Carmine, Director, Kunst Halle Sankt Gallen, Curator Art Basel Unlimited
Anna-Catharina Gebbers, curator, Nationalgalerie im Hamburger Bahnhof, Berlin
Samuel Leuenberger, Director SALTS, Basel, & Curator Art Basel Parcours
Moritz Wesseler, Director, Fridericianum, Kassel
Moritz von Crailsheim
Marcela von Kayser
With this innovation, we would like to enable Outset Germany_Switzerland Patrons to actively participate in the selected projects as well as to exchange ideas with well-known curators. Therefore, curators are appointed for two years, while Patrons are one-year members of the board of trustees. This allows the greatest possible participation.
Watch this space for the announcement of the winners in February 2020!
Outset has been helping artists to realise their visions since 2003: we give strategic advice, we broker new relationships, we build communities of interest, we expand public audiences, we create circles of trust.
Outset Germany was founded in 2006 and extended its activities to Switzerland in 2017. Under expert guidance, Outset’s directors, patrons and partners provide funds to respond to what artists and curators really need.
Our ethos is best expressed through our name: be there at the outset. That’s why we can offer our supporters – both individuals and corporates – experiences, insights and opportunities they won’t find anywhere else.
Gipsstrasse 15, Apartment 11
Phone +49 (0)30 81725741
Bettina Böhm M.A.
Bettina Klein (on maternity leave 2020)
Development & Programme Director
Programme & Marketing Director